Sioen sponsors Rising You, helping refugees to find a job
Rising You is a Belgian organisation that helps young refugees to find a job by offering them a professional training. The height potentials are trained to become professional rope access workers. This opportunity offers them the perspective of a challenging job at height and helps them to integrate in a new country.
The refugee crisis
According to the European Commission, “at the end of 2019, 79.5 million people required protection and assistance because of forced displacement”. People are urged to flee their countries due to conflict, violence, persecution, etc. About 40% of the people who are forcibly displaced are children.
Rising You, the only way is up!
Rising You was established by Nature VZW, Frank Coenen and Benjamin Gérard. As they care a lot about the fate of socially vulnerable young people, and of refugees, in particular, they wanted to find a way to help them. Starting from the adolescents’ spare time, where they climb together with other young people, and they build a social network from a mutual passion. Discovering a climbing passion, teaches the adolescents about their own potential, helps them build their own identity, and helps them learn the needed attitude to have better job opportunities. What starts as a hobby and a passion turns into a professional training and a promising career.
Rising You sees the real potential of refugees and helps them find a job they are passionate about. After their professional training, the height potentials become professional rope access workers. During their training, the height potentials learn much more than a profession. They learn about the new country, its culture, values and standards. They also practice a new language that will make it easier to find a job.
Next to training the young refugees, Rising You also raises awareness among companies to show that those adolescents have as much potential as anyone else; at least.
We are proud to say that 93% of the Rising You trainees find a job, and we aim to get even higher results.
SIP Protection climbing garments
Benjamin Gérard was already using SIP Protection climbing garments and contacted Sioen’s SIP Protection brand at a trade fair. As the initiative perfectly suits our vision, Sioen is happy to sponsor climbing garments for this inspiring initiative. We were convinced by the power of the initiative and we really want to be part of providing these opportunities to young potentials.
The Rising You project and Sioen’s sponsorship with SIP Protection garments helps to realise the following SDGs and targets:
- SDG 4: “Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all”
- Target 4.4: “By 2030, substantially increase the number of youth and adults who have relevant skills, including technical and vocational skills, for employment, decent jobs and entrepreneurship.”
- SDG 8: “Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.”
- Target 8.6: “Target 8.6 By 2020, substantially reduce the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training.
- SDG 10: “Reduce inequality within and among countries.”
- Target 10.2: “By 2030, empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status.”